- 250 g basmati rice
- 500 g ripe red tomatoes
- 2-3 T olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 cups hot chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- fresh coriander, for serving
1. Wash and drain the rice. Core and seed the tomatoes, then chop roughly.
2. Gently soften the onion in the olive oil. Stir in the garlic, then add the tomatoes. Cover and cook for 15–20 minutes, stirring occasionally to break up the tomatoes.
3. Stir in the rice and pour in the hot chicken stock. Add the bay leaf and season, then bring to a boil.
4. Cover tightly and reduce the heat. Simmer for 15 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed. Turn on the heat and leave for 5 minutes. Check the seasoning, fluff with a fork and add the coriander. Serve warm.
Cook's note:This is a versatile side dish, you can use any large ripe tomatoes. Try it with grilled fish or seafood, or top it with a fried egg.
Photograph: Toby Murphy
Production: Brita Du Plessis
Food assistant: Emma Nkunzana