- 4 brinjals
- 6 T olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 t chilli
- 8 anchovy fillets
- 3 x 400 g cans Woolworths cherry tomatoes
- 2 t dried oregano
- basil, for sprinkling, plus extra for serving
- 400 g mozzarella, sliced
- 1 x 250 g tub Woolworths soft ricotta
- 100 g Parmesan, grated, plus extra for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Halve the brinjals lengthways, then cut into finger-thick slices. Divide between two trays, drizzle with 2 T olive oil and season. Roast for 20–30 minutes, or until browned and tender.
2. Meanwhile, crush the garlic into a large saucepan, add the remaining olive oil and gently fry over a low to medium heat until golden. Add the chilli and anchovies and fry for a further minute.
3. Add the cherry tomatoes and oregano and bring to a fast simmer. Cook for 20 minutes while the brinjals roast. Season to taste and remove from the heat.
4. Ladle a few spoons of the tomato mixture into a deep ovenproof dish, top with torn basil leaves and one tray of brinjals. Top with half the mozzarella.
5. Repeat to make another layer. Top the final layer with more tomato sauce, dollops of ricotta and the Parmesan. Bake for 40 minutes, or until bubbling and cooked through. Serve with more Parmesan and fresh basil.
Photograph: Sadiqah Assur-Ismail
Food Assistant: Claire-ellen Van Rooyen