- 180 g quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 200 g baby fennel, trimmed and thinly sliced lengthways
- 1 firm, ripe avocado, thinly sliced
- 2 T toasted sunflower seeds
- 80 g Woolworths baby butter lettuce
- 2 T olive oil, for drizzling
- sunflower shoots, to garn
- For the dressing, whisk:
- 3 T lemon juice
- 1–2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 8 T olive oil
- 1 t honey or maple syrup
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Rinse the quinoa under running water using a fine sieve very well, then drain well.
2. Turn into a suitable saucepan and add the water. Bring to a bubble, then reduce the heat to low. Cover tightly and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the water has been absorbed. Turn off the heat and leave – still covered – to steam for 5 minutes. Fluff up with a large fork and toss the quinoa with half the dressing. Check the seasoning and turn onto a platter.
3. Meanwhile, marinate the fennel in the remaining dressing. Add the avocado and mix gently. Check the seasoning, then spoon over the quinoa.
4. Wash the lettuce and dry well. Refrigerate until serving. Tuck the leaves into the salad and drizzle over a little olive oil. Sprinkle with the sunflower seeds and garnish with sunflower shoots.
Cook's note: Use a large fennel bulb if you find it more convenient than the baby version.
Photographs: Toby Murphy
Production: Brita Du Plessis