“This is really fun to make with the kids and a dessert everyone loves.”
- 2 x 80 g boxes strawberry-flavoured jelly
- 2 x 80 g boxes pineapple-flavoured jelly
- 290 g can dessert cream
- fruit, to decorate
- custard, for serving (optional)
1. Prepare 2 strawberry jellies and 1 pineapple jelly according to package instructions. Pour the two jellies into separate dishes, preferably rectangular (26x16cm)and chill to set.
2. Mix the remaining pineapple jelly with 1 cup boiling water. Set aside to cool slightly (do not chill).
3. Remove the strawberry and pineapple jellies from the fridge and cut into 1 cm squares. Place the squares into a square dish.
4. Mix the dessert cream with the room-temperature pineapple jelly and pour over the red-and-yellow squares, then chill to set.
5. When set, cut into shapes and serve as is or with custard and fruit.
Photograph: Jan Ras
Production: Abigail Donnelly
Recipes: Sadiqah Assur-Ismail
Food assistant: Emma Nkunzana