- 500 g free-range venison steaks
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 30 g basil leaves, washed, dried and torn
- 125 ml olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 250 g fresh tagliolini, cooked al dente, for serving
- Steamed sliced marrows, for serving
Season the steak. Blend the basil with the oil and garlic and season to taste. Brush the steaks with a little basil oil. Brown over a high heat, remove from the heat, then spoon over the rest of the oil. Allow the steaks to rest in a warm place for 5 minutes. Season to taste. 2
Serve the steaks, thinly sliced, with the remaining basil oil and pan juices over hot pasta with the steamed marrows on the side.
Cook’s note: If you prefer, use ostrich steaks or lean beef.