- 1 cup self rising flour
- 1 cup corned beef / bully beef, small cubes
- 1 cup sauerkraut (drained if it's very wet)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese (for topping)
- 12 tablespoons russian dressing (recipe at bottom)
Preheat oven to 190 oC. Grease 12 muffin pan. (I put squares of foil in each hole and spray it – keep muffin pan ‘clean’.) Mix the flour with ham, sauerkraut, salt and pepper. (You mix the corned beef and sauerkraut with the flour to prevent them clumping together … but it is a bit tricky with the sauerkraut – they stick together – just use a fork to separate them.) Add the milk and oil into the flour mixture and stir with fork.
Put 1 flat tablespoon mixture into each muffin hole – spoon some Russian dressing on top, cover with rest of ham mixture. Sprinkle cheese on top. Bake for 25 minutes. Let cool in pan for about 5 minutes, carefully remove the foil and let it cool down for 5 more minutes on wire rack. Enjoy.
Recipe for Reuben muffins: Alma Pretorius
Russian dressing for Reuben sandwich
• 1/4 cup finely chopped shallot
• 1/4 cup finely chopped dill pickles
• 1/4 cup organic ketchup
• 1/2 cup mayonnaise (vegan, as necessary)
• 3 teaspoons Habanero sauce
• 1 teaspoon paprika powder
• 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Mince the shallot and the dill pickles. Stir them together with the ketchup and mayonnaise. Add hot sauce to taste. Stir in paprika, Worcestershire sauce to taste. Store refrigerated for several months.