Lufuno Sinthumule is a culinary lecturer, here she shares her favourite way to use leftover rice during the festive season...
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 1 x 410 g corn kernels can, drained
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 small cucumber, cored and sliced
- 1 celery stick, sliced
- sea salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- For the dressing:
- 3 T olive oil
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
1. In a large salad bowl, combine all the ingredients for the salad and mix well.
2. In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil, vinegar and lemon juice and toss with the salad. Season with salt and pepper.
Cook’s notes: Use any leftover veg from the fridge. For a creamier salad, add a spoon of mustard mayonnaise to the dressing. If you have guests coming over, let everyone dress their own salad so that the vegetables are fresher and crisper.
Photograph: Myburgh Du Plessis
Production: Bianca Strydom