- 125 g flour
- 1 t baking powder
- 1 ½ T sugar
- ¼ t salt
- 2 free-range eggs, separated
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ t Woolworths vanilla paste
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 orange, zested
- 250 g ricotta
- vegetable oil, for frying
- lemon curd or butter, for serving
1. Sift all the dry ingredients into a bowl.
2. Beat the egg yolks together, then add the milk, vanilla paste and lemon and orange zest.
3. Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, then fold in the ricotta and egg whites. Don’t overmix the batter, pieces of ricotta should still be visible.
4. Fry 1 heaped T batter per hotcake in a nonstick pan over a medium heat until golden, then turn and cook on the other side.
5. Serve with butter or lemon curd.
Photography: Andrea van der Spuy
Food assistants: Bianca Strydom & Irinja Bekker