Looking for a veggie main to impress your guests? This roast cauliflower with cheese sauce is the recipe you've been looking for. The brown butter gives the cheese sauce extra flavour and you can make this with broccoli as well.
- 2 heads cauliflower, blanched for 2 minutes
- 3 T, plus 1 t olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 140 g Woolworths ruby mixed leaves
- For the cheese sauce:
- 2 T butter
- 1 T flour
- 1 cup milk
- salt, to taste
- 50 g Parmesan, grated
- 20 g Cheddar, grated
- 20 g mozzarella, grated
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Place the cauliflower on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and season. Roast for 25 minutes, or until golden brown, then grill for 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, make the cheese sauce. Melt the butter in a small saucepan over a medium heat, then add the flour. Cook, while whisking, until browned. Gradually whisk in the milk and cook until thick and smooth. Add the cheese and stir gently until melted, then season.
3. Remove the cauliflower from the oven. Heat 1 t olive oil in a large pan and quickly sauté and season the leaves.
4. Serve the cauliflower on the leaves topped with the cheese sauce and extra Parmesan.
Cook's note: This brown butter cheese sauce is also delicious served grilled on toast for a relaxed Sunday supper. You could also replace the cauliflower with broccoli.
Photograph: Myburgh Du Plessis
Production: Abigail Donnelly
Food Assistant: Bianca Strydom