- 250 g short pasta, cooked al dente
- 2 cups strong chicken stock
- 1–1.5 kg whole free-range chicken, butterflied
- 2 cloves garlic, halved
- 10 g fresh thyme
- 4 T olive oil
- 500 g medium carrots, peeled
- 40 g rocket, for serving
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C. Turn the pasta into a greased baking dish just large enough to take it. Pour over the stock.
2. Rub the chicken with halved garlic cloves, then bury the rest in the pasta. Rub the chicken with some thyme and oil, then season. Place the chicken breast-side up on the pasta. Tuck sprigs of thyme underneath. Bake for 45 minutes or until the chicken is browned and tender.
3. Slice the carrots lengthways. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with baking paper. Oil, season and add a sprinkling of thyme. Roast at 190°C for 20 minutes, or until just tender and starting to catch. Serve with the rocket.
Cook's note: “This looks like a high-effort supper, when all you have to do is put it all in the oven.”
Photograph: Toby Murphy
Production: Brita Du Plessis
Food Assistant: Kate Ferreira