- 1 whole free-range chicken
- For the stuffing:
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 T butter
- 3 onions, quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 100 g flaked almonds, plus extra for topping
- 10 g thyme
- 1 x 250 g pack Woolworths Heat and Eat brown and wild rice
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. To make the stuffing, heat the olive oil and butter in a pan, then add the onions and garlic and fry for 5 minutes. Add the almonds and thyme and fry until the almonds are slightly browned.
2. Mix the onions and almonds with the rice, lemon zest and juice and seasoning. Stuff the chicken, then place the remaining stuffing on a baking tray and place the stuffed chicken on top of it. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt.
3. Wrap tightly in tin foil and roast for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and grill the chicken for 15–20 minutes until the skin is brown and crispy. Serve with the roasted almond rice.
Photographs: Jan Ras
Food assistant: Marcelle De Wet