- 1 T olive oil
- 8 free-range chicken pieces
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 T butter
- 4 T red wine vinegar
- 6 anchovies, smashed
- 250 g baby spinach
- mustard, for serving
- mashed potatoes, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Heat the oil in a large ovenproof pan, then brown the chicken all over until golden brown.
2. Add the garlic and butter to the pan, season, then transfer the chicken to the oven and roast for 40 minutes.
3. Remove the chicken from the pan, then add the vinegar, anchovies and spinach to the pan juices and simmer for a further 5 minutes. Return the chicken to the pan and toss through.
4. Serve with creamy mashed potatoes and Dijon mustard.
Cook’s note: Make a big batch of mashed potato, eat half and store the rest in the fridge to eat towards the end of the week. To reheat, place in an ovenproof dish and heat in the oven until hot. I did this by mistake on a shoot and somehow the potatoes come out even fluffier with a crispy topping. You will want to make your mashed potato like this all the time!
Photograph: Myburgh Du Plessis
Food assistants: Bianca Strydom, Keletso Motau & Mogau Seshoene