This tender, flavourful roast lamb is always a winner on any festive table and complements a wide range of mains and sides.
- 1 t freshly ground black pepper
- salt, to taste
- 1 T garlic
- 2.4 kg Woolworths free-range leg of lamb
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 t garlic-and-ginger paste 2
- 1 t leaf masala
- ½ t ground turmeric
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 t crushed chillies
- 1 T brown sugar
- ½ cup chutney
- 1 t lemon pepper
1. Rub the pepper, salt and garlic onto the lamb and set aside to marinate for at least an hour.
2. Heat half the oil in a pan and cook the garlic-and-ginger paste until fragrant. Add the spices and toast until fragrant, then add the sugar, chutney and lemon pepper. Mix well. Pour the marinade over the lamb, ensuring it’s well coated.
3. Heat the remaining olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Place the lamb in the pan and brown on all sides. Cook for 1½ hours, or until tender. Add water to prevent the lamb from burning. Use a skewer or fork to prick the meat so that the gravy penetrates it.
Photographer: Jan Ras
Production: Abigail Donnelly
Recipes: Saadiyah Hendricks
Food assistant: Bianca Strydom