- 1 kg pork shoulder
- 12 baby onions, peeled
- 4 cups chicken stock
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 ciabatta, torn into chunks, for serving
- Ingredients aren't specified.
- 4 bay leaves
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 4 sage leaves
- 1 leek, halved
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C. Sear the meat all over in a large ovenproof pan. Add the onions.
2. To make the bouquet garni, tie the herbs together with string or loosen the outer leaves of the leek and stuff the herbs inside. Tie up with string.
3. Pour in 1 cup stock and add the bouquet garni. Roast, covered, for 3 hours or until the meat is about to collapse.
4. Break up the meat using a spoon, add the remaining stock and season. Heat on the stovetop.
5. Serve with the bread for dunking.
Photographs: Myburgh Du Plessis
Food assistant: Bianca Strydom