My mom’s crispy-on-the-outside, impossibly fluffy and steaming on the inside potatoes have their place on every table. Mine ditch the deep-frying method she’s always trusted in favour of an oven roast, and I raised the stakes with a sweet-savoury caramelised onion butter that makes these potatoes sing!
- 200 g Woolworths baby sweet potatoes , halved
- 200 g Woolworths baby Kara orange sweet potatoes, halved
- 200 g Woolworths Mediterranean baby potatoes
- 200 g medium potatoes cubed
- 4 T canola oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- For the caramelised onion butter:
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced into wedges
- 200 g butter, softened
- 2 T brown sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C. Wash all the potatoes and pat dry with a tea towel. Rub the potatoes with the oil, reserving 1 T, and season well. Roast for 35–40 minutes, or until cooked through, crispy and golden, turning once using a spatula.
2. To make the caramelised onion butter, heat a pan until very hot and add the remaining canola oil. Fry the onion and allow to char a bit. Resist the urge to stir. Once they’re beautifully charred (not burnt!), add a small knob of butter, then add the sugar and reduce the heat. Stir through until the sugar has melted and the onions are caramelised. Allow to cool, then stir through the remaining butter until just combined. Serve the butter on the piping-hot potatoes.
Photographs: Toby Murphy
Food Assistant: Kate Ferreira