- 500 g Woolworths uncooked frozen extra-large tiger prawns
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 2 T lemon juice
- 2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- For the baby leek-and-dill pilau:
- 200 g baby leeks
- 200 g basmati rice
- 2 T olive oil
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1½ cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 3-4 T fresh dill, chopped
- 1 t salt
1. Thaw the prawns overnight in the fridge. Leave the shells on but use a small pair of scissors to cut along the back and remove the vein.
2. Place in a single layer in a large greased baking pan. Mix the wine, olive oil, lemon juice and garlic, adding a little salt and a good grinding of black pepper. Pour over the prawns. Allow to stand while preheating the oven to 230°C.
3. Roast the prawns for 10 minutes, or until just cooked. Serve in bowls with the pilau on the side.
4. While the prawns are roasting, make the pilau. Trim the leeks and slice very thinly. Rinse the rice and drain. Gently heat the oil in a saucepan. Stir in the leeks and cook gently for a few minutes until softened but still pale. Stir in the rice for 1–2 minutes. Pour in the wine and stock. Bring to a bubble. Add the dill and salt and bring to a bubble. Cover tightly, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow to stand – covered – for 5 minutes until the rice is tender.