- 1 (about 1.2 kg) whole smoked chicken
- 1 cup Zesty White Wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 x 230 g leeks punnet, washed, trimmed and thinly sliced lengthways
- Garlic a few whole cloves, smashed
- Tarragon a handfu
- 1 T honey
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1/2 t Dijon mustard
- For the butternut and sweet potato bake:
- 400 g Ready-to-use Butternut Batons
- 400 g orange sweet potato, peeled and cut into batons
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 T olive oil
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Place the chicken in a roasting pan and pour over the wine and stock. Add the leeks, garlic and tarragon. Cover with a sheet of oiled baking paper and roast, basting now and again.
After 45 minutes, remove the baking paper. Mix together the honey, lemon juice and mustard and brush over the chicken. Roast for a further 10 minutes or until bronzed. Remove from the oven, cover with foil and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
To make the butternut and sweet potato bake, season the vegetables and moisten with the olive oil. Turn into a roasting pan and bake with the chicken until tender and starting to catch.
TASTE’s take: The light smokiness adds lovely flavour to a new way with roast chicken, which is always a favourite.