- 1 shallot, sliced
- 2 kg assorted very ripe tomatoes
- 2 T olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ t sugar
- 1 head garlic, wrapped in foil
- 2 cups good-quality chicken or vegetable stock, warmed
- 1 t red wine or sherry vinegar
- For the Caprese toast:
- 4–8 slices olive ciabatta
- 125 g basil pesto
- 150 g fior di latte mozzarella
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Place the shallot and tomatoes in a roasting pan and drizzle with olive oil. Season lightly and add the sugar.
Tuck in the garlic and roast for 30–40 minutes. Allow the tomatoes to cool slightly, then peel.
Tip the tomatoes, onion and all the juices into a large saucepan. Unwrap the garlic and squeeze into the pan. Add the hot stock and vinegar and simmer for 10 minutes.
Blend using a stick blender and serve with the Caprese toast.
To make the Caprese toast, lightly toast the ciabatta. Spread with the basil pesto and top with the cheese. Grill until hot and bubbling.
Cook's note: It’s amazing how simple ingredients such as tomatoes, garlic and shallots transform into a moreish bowlful.