- 225 g flour
- 2 t baking powder
- 75 g butter, cubed
- 75 g raisins and sultanas
- 1–2 oranges, zested
- 75 g sugar
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
- 3 T milk
- 1⁄2 t ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 t ground cinnamon (or 1 t mixed spice)
- For the pink grapefruit icing:
- 1⁄2 grapefruit, zested and juiced
- 200 g icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Sift together the flour and baking powder. Rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the raisins, sultanas and orange zest and mix.
2 Add the sugar, egg and milk to make a fairly stiff dough. Add the spices and cut in using a butter knife to bring the mixture together.
3. Place spoonfuls onto a greased baking tray – don’t flatten, you want the buns to have some body and shape. Bake for 15 minutes, then set aside to cool.
4. To make the icing, combine the ingredients to make a runny icing. Add more grapefruit juice or icing sugar to correct the consistency if necessary. Add a drop of pink food colouring if you like. Drizzle over the cooled buns.