- 500 g calamari tubes and tentacles
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 100 g flour
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup soya sauce
- 2 t rice vinegar
- 1 t sesame oil
- 1 t lime juice
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 t treacle sugar
- Nasturtium flowers, to garnish
- Ready-made chilli mayonnaise, for serving
- Fresh avocado, for serving
Drain the calamari.
Season the flour and toss with the calamari, shaking off any excess flour.
Heat the oil and deep-fry the calamari until crisp and golden. Drain on kitchen paper.
Mix the soya sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, lime juice, chilli, garlic and treacle sugar and drizzle over the calamari.
Garnish with nasturtium flowers and serve with the chilli mayonnaise and avocado.
This crispy, crunchy dish is perfect for a quick snack or starter.