- For the crust:
- 360 g Woolworths pretzel rings with salt and sesame seeds
- 50 g caster sugar
- 4 T salted butter, melted
- 2 free-range eggs, separated
- For the filling:
- 600 g sugar
- 60 g cornflour
- 1 t salt
- 250 g salted butter, melted
- 1 cup cream
- 8 free-range egg yolks
- 400 g good-quality white chocolate, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. To make the crust, blend the pretzels until fine, then add the remaining ingredients and blitz until combined.
2. Grease a 25 cm cake tin and press the crust lightly into the base and up the sides.
3. Bake for 15 minutes, or until lightly caramelised. Remove from the oven and chill. Reduce the oven’s temperature to 160°C.
4. To make the filling, combine the dry ingredients in a stand mixer using the paddle attachment.
5. Add the melted butter and mix until combined.
6. Add the cream and egg yolks and mix until just incorporated.
7. Lastly add the melted white chocolate and mix very slowly so that the mixture is well combined but not too aerated.
8. Pour the pie batter into the cooled pie crust, bake at 160°C for 40 minutes. Chill overnight to set.
Cook's note: Garnish with a pretzel bark: Caramelise 1 cup sugar until light brown, then pour the caramel over 1 packet pretzels on a sheet of baking paper. Cool down and crack. Dust with icing sugar, serve with crème fraîche.