- 3 T olive oil
- 160 g Woolworths steel-cut wholegrain oats
- 4 cups boiling hot chicken or vegetable stock
- 1⁄4 t salt
- 1 bunch slim leeks, white parts only
- 1 T unsalted butter
- 250 g mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1⁄3 cup fresh cream
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 50 g Parmesan, for serving
- Rocket, for serving
Heat 1 T oil in a saucepan. Add the oats and stir to coat and lightly toast. Pour in the stock and add the salt. Stir, then half-cover with the lid. Simmer, stirring often, for 20 minutes, or until just tender.
Trim, then slice the leeks thinly. Rinse well. Heat the remaining oil and the butter in a pan. Stir in the leeks and cook gently until soft but still pale. Add the mushrooms and a little more butter. Increase the heat and stir-fry until the mushrooms are just cooked and the liquid almost evaporated. Pour in the cream and simmer for a few minutes to reduce slightly. Season to taste.
Spoon the savoury oat porridge into bowls and top with the creamy leeks and mushrooms. Serve with Parmesan and tufts of rocket.
Cook's note: An everyday breakfast ingredient is the basis for a quick, delicious supper.