- For the scones:
- 500 g cake flour
- 1 T baking powder
- 4 T sugar
- salt, a pinch
- 80 g butter
- 1 free-range egg
- 100 ml milk
- 1 ½ t orange or vanilla extract
- For the gemer (ginger beer):
- 1 litre water
- 100 g sugar
- 1 T ground ginger
- ¼ t tartaric acid
- ¼ t cream of tartar
- 1 t lemongrass fresh (optional)
- 10 cm pineapple peel
1. To make the scones, preheat the oven to 180°C. Sift flour the and baking powder, then add the sugar and salt.
2. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
3. In a separate bowl whisk the egg, milk and orange or vanilla extract.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and gently combine. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
6. Roll out to a thickness of roughly 2 cm, then cut out scones using a cookie cutter or glass. Place onto a greased baking tray and bake for 12–15 minutes.
7. To make the ginger beer, bring 1/2 L water to the boil and stir in the sugar to dissolve. Once the sugar has dissolved, add the ginger and simmer gently for a few minutes.
8. Remove from the heat and add the tartaric acid and cream of tartar. Add the remaining water, lemongrass and pineapple peel and allow to “mature” overnight. Enjoy the next day.
Videography: Xolisani Khumalo
Video editing: John Taylor
Still image: Myburgh du Plessis
Still production: Abigail Donnelly