- 5 free-range eggs, at room temperature
- 350 g sausage meat (remove the skins from a pack of Woolies bangers)
- 4 T parsley, chopped
- 2 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 2 T capers, drained and finely chopped
- 50 g smoked ham
- Salt and white pepper, to taste
- 6 T fresh breadcrumbs or Woolworths panko crumbs
- 1½ cups vegetable oil, for frying
- Mustard, for serving
Boil 4 eggs for 5–6 minutes. Place in a bowl of cold water, then peel and set aside.
Mix the sausage meat, parsley, anchovies, capers and smoked ham and season to taste.
Divide the mixture into four. Spread a handful of the mixture on your palm in a flat disc. Place a boiled egg in the centre of the mixture and carefully close the meat around it. Repeat with the remaining mixture and boiled eggs. Beat the remaining egg, brush onto the boiled eggs and roll them in the breadcrumbs.
Heat the oil in a wok and fry the eggs for 6–7 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove using a large slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Cut in half and serve with your favourite mustard.
Chef's note: “Scotch eggs make me smile and pinch myself and think, “I actually have a real deli!” In my mind, real delis have Scotch eggs. Ours are really good, especially when served with great mustard.’