- 4 T olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bulb fennel, chopped
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ t chilli flakes
- 1 t dried oregano
- 1 T tomato paste
- 1 x 400 g can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 1½ cups vegetable or seafood stock
- 12 Woolworths uncooked extra-large black tiger prawns, thawed
- 500 g Woolworths kingklip portions, thawed
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 pizza bases, for serving
Heat 2 T oil in a large pan and add the onion, fennel and celery. Cook gently until soft.
Add the garlic, chilli flakes, oregano, tomato paste, tomatoes, wine, bay leaves and stock and bring to the boil. Simmer for 30 minutes, then season to taste.
Add the prawns and fish and simmer for 5 minutes. Fry the pizza bases in the remaining oil until golden and serve with the cioppino.
Cook's note: Seafood is big in the southern region of Italy, and the variety of fish available to the area has resulted in several fish-based broths and stews called cioppino. Try our interpretation of a cioppino below – different versions featuring local ingredients can be found throughout Italy.