- 500 g Woolworths frozen seafood mix
- 4 T olive oil
- 2 T lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- For the rice:
- 1–2 T olive oil
- 200 g risotto rice
- 200 g spring onions 2 bunches, white parts thinly sliced for cooking, green tops shredded for sprinkling
- 1½ cups water
1. Defrost the seafood mix overnight in the fridge – this is best done in a colander over a bowl. Drain well. Steep in a mix of the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and a little seasoning for as much time as you have before cooking.
2. Heat the oil in a large saucepan, then stir in the rice and spring onions and cook until the rice is lightly toasted. Pour in the water and bring to a simmer. Add the marinated seafood, cover tightly and reduce the heat to very low. Cook for 20 minutes, or until the rice and seafood are cooked.
3. Turn off the heat and leave to stand for 5 minutes. Check the seasoning. Serve sprinkled with the shredded spring onion greens.
Cook's note: Woolies’ frozen seafood mix is a great freezer find – it’s surprisingly affordable and there are countless ways to make it go far. For this recipe, treat risotto rice as you would regular rice for a fast-and-easy dinner.
Photographs: Toby Murphy
Production: Brita Du Plessis
Food assistant: Nicola Naude