This is a traditional take on paella. It’s great with just mussels for something a bit less costly, but as a treat it’s magnifico.
- 2 T olive oil
- 3 T butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 400 g risotto rice
- ¾ cup white wine
- 4 T lemon juice
- 1 x 70 g Woolworths soffritto tomato paste can
- 1 x 410 g diced tomatoes can
- 6 cups hot fish or chicken stock
- 1 t saffron
- 24 mussels
- 12 prawns
- 6 lobster tails (optional)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Heat the olive oil and butter in a saucepan. Add the onion and garlic and sauté over a very low heat until soft. Add the rice and toss until well coated.
2. Add the wine and lemon juice and deglaze the pan so the mixture comes together. Add the tomato paste and tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Add ladlefuls of stock, allowing each one to absorb before adding more. Once all the stock has been added, add all the seafood, cover with a lid and cook for 10 minutes, or until the seafood is cooked through. Season to taste.
4. Serve with a fennel-and-olive salad dressed with lemon juice, olive oil and chilli.
Photograph: Jan Ras
Food assistant: Bianca Strydom