- 500 g calamari steaks, sliced into strips
- olive oil
- 400 g ready-to-use julienne vegetables
- sea-salt flakes
- a good pinch of crushed red chillies
- For the cos
- 2 cos lettuces, trimmed and halved lengthways,
- lightly moistened with olive oil and seasoned.
Moisten the calamari with olive oil and set aside. Do the same with the vegetables.
Heat a pan until very hot.
Mix the lemon juice with the salt and chilli, and set aside.
Sear the oiled calamari over a high heat, in batches if necessary, stirring to prevent catching.
Toss with the seasoned lemon juice. Sear the vegetables in the same pan. Mix with the calamari. Check seasoning and spoon over the lettuce.
Cook’s tips: Baby calamari tubes work well too, or try strips of tender steak or chicken fillet instead of calamari. If you like, serve a bowl of hot Chinese noodles on the side.
Per serving: 685kJ, 20.1g protein, 5.7g fat, 8.5g carbs
Make sure your pan is hot, hot, hot. Fast searing makes for tender calamari. It’s 30 seconds or 30 minutes for calamari – nothing in between.