- 2 kg mixed cherry, baby Rosa and plum tomatoes plus extra cherry tomatoes, halved, to garnish
- 1 red onion, quartered
- 1 red pepper, cored, seeded and quartered
- 2–3 garlic cloves
- ¾ cucumber seeded (use the remainder to garnish)
- 2 t brown sugar
- 2 T white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ t chilli flakes or Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 6 gherkin cucumbers, thinly sliced, to garnish
- ¼ cup flat-leaf parsley, plus extra to garnish
- For the green olive pesto, blend:
- 16 green olives, stoned
- 3 T olive oil 3
Remove the seeds from the plum tomatoes.
Finely chop the cherry tomatoes, baby Rosa tomatoes, red onion, red pepper, garlic and cucumber.
Add the chopped plum tomatoes to this mixture, along with the sugar, vinegar and olive oil.
Mix until well combined.
Season and add the Tabasco or chilli flakes, if using.
Blend to a rough consistency. Pour into bowls and spoon over the green olive pesto.
Garnish with sliced baby gherkin, halved cherry tomatoes, flat-leaf parsley and a good crack of
Cook’s note: The longer the gazpacho stands, the more flavour it will develop. Try adding strawberries or watermelon for a fun summer alternative. If using strawberries, add basil, lots of black pepper and ½ clove garlic. For watermelon, use 1 clove garlic and garnish with feta.
This recipe was created by TASTE reader Beverley Rodd for the November 2011 Readers’ issue of TASTE magazine. For all our readers’ recipes, as well as restaurants, books, gadgets and wines chosen by TASTE readers, visit our readers’ issue page.