- 140 g butter, softened
- 340 g caster sugar
- 4 LemonGold® seedless lemons, zested
- 6 large free-range egg yolks
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 8 T self-raising flour, sifted
- 8 free-range egg whites
- icing sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC and grease a 30 x 22 cm ovenproof dish.
2. Cream the butter and sugar in a large bowl. Add the lemon zest and egg yolks and whisk until well combined.
3. Slowly add the milk and lemon juice. It will look as if the batter is curdling but the pudding will turn out fine.
4. Add the flour and mix into a smooth batter. It will still look curdled but there should be no lumps.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites into stiff peaks, then gently fold into the batter. Do not mix vigorously, you want the pudding to be light and fluffy.
6. Pour the batter into the dish or small ramekins, place in a baking tray filled with hot water and bake for 30–35 minutes or until firm and lightly golden on top and slightly saucy at the bottom.
7. Dust with icing sugar. Serve with vanilla ice cream if you like.
Cook's note: You can prepare the batter beforehand but put it in the oven 40 minutes before serving so that you eat it fluffy and warm with the tangy lemon curd-ish sauce.
Photographs: Saadiqah Assur-Ismail
Production: Jacqueline Burgess
Recipe: Sam Woulidge
Food assistant: Claire van Rooyen
LemonGold® seedless lemons are juicy and zesty without the hassle of unwanted seeds. They’re great for cooking and baking – use them to add acidity to dressings, tartness to desserts, and brightness to rich stews and soups. Find them exclusively at Woolworths.