- 1 bulb fennel, thinly sliced
- ½ ripe sweet melon
- 2–3 gem lettuces, shredded lengthways
- 2 T olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 70 g Serrano ham, thinly sliced
- 1 lime, juiced
- smoked Spanish paprika, for sprinkling
Soak the sliced fennel in cold water for 30 minutes. Cut the melon in half, peel and slice very thinly.
Toss the lettuce and drained fennel with the olive oil and seasoning. Turn on to 2 large plates.
Add the torn ham and thin melon slices. Spoon the lime juice over the melon and sprinkle with paprika.
Cook's note: The sweetness of the melon and saltiness of the ham are a fine juxtaposition. It's good on its own, and will go further with crisp lettuce and fennel.
To make Abigail's version on the January/February 2015 cover, omit the smoked Spanish paprika and add 150 g torn mozzarella, 150 g grated Parmesan and pink peppercorns (not available at Woolworths) instead of freshly ground black pepper.