- 2 t red wine vinegar
- 1 t Maldon salt, plus more to taste
- 2 heads broccoli, sliced as thinly as possible
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 t cumin seeds
- 2 t sesame oil
- a large pinch chili flakes
1. Mix the vinegar and salt in a large heat-proof bowl. Add the sliced broccoli and toss to combine.
2. Heat the olive oil in a pan over a medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cumin seeds and cook, stirring continually, until fragrant, for about 1 minute. Do not let the garlic burn. If necessary, remove the pan from the heat and let the garlic and cumin cook in the residual heat of the oil.
3. Stir in the sesame oil and the chilli flakes, pour the mixture over the broccoli and toss well to coat. Allow the salad to sit for at least an hour at room temperature for the flavours to develop and the broccoli to “cure” in the flavoured oil. The salad can be refrigerated for up to 48 hours. Before serving, taste and adjust the seasoning. Serve at room temperature.
Photographs: Jan Ras
Production: Abigail Donnelly
Food assistant: Bianca Strydom