- 2 butternuts, halved and seeded
- 2 T olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 400 g baby spinach, washed
- 2⁄3 cup Woolworths white béchamel sauce
- 100 g Parmesan, grated
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Drizzle the butternut with olive oil and season. Roast the butternut for 40 minutes, or until soft, and scoop out some of the flesh.
2. Meanwhile, blanch the spinach in salted water. Drain and run under cold water to stop the cooking process. Squeeze to remove any excess moisture.
3. Heat the béchamel over a low heat and add the blanched spinach. Mix well.
4. Scoop the creamed spinach into the cooked butternut halves and top with the Parmesan.
5. Return to the oven and bake until the cheese is melted and golden – about 10 minutes.
Cook's note: This vegetable side is served every Sunday in my family as part of the seven-colours meal.
Photograph: Jan Ras
Production: Bianca Strydom
Food assistant: Irinja Bekker