Shish tawook a.k.a marinated chicken kebabs works well as part of a light meal or part of a mezze. This recipe by Teddy Zaki, Great SA Bake-Off alumnus, is super-easy to make and pairs perfectly with Toum (garlic sauce).
- For the marinade:
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 T white wine vinegar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 T dried oregano
- 1 T za’atar
- For the kebabs:
- 12 skinless, boneless free-range chicken thighs
- 2 onions, peeled and quartered
- 200 g cherry tomatoes
- red, green and yellow peppers, quartered and seeded
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. To make the marinade, combine all the ingredients to make a paste.
2. Place the chicken in the marinade, making sure each piece is well coated, cover with clingwrap and marinate in the fridge overnight.
3. Thread the chicken onto skewers, alternating with the onion, tomatoes and peppers. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Grill over hot coals, turning frequently, until the chicken is cooked through and golden. Serve with toum (garlic sauce), batata harra (chilli potatoes) and flatbread.
Photographs: Elsa Young
Production: Abigail Donnelly