Produced in France, Bonne Maman Preserves and Jams are 100% all-natural, with no artificial colouring, no high fructose corn syrup and no preservatives added. The brand essence stems from the founder, Jean Gervoson’s desire to produce homemade jam, much like that which his grandmother would make. Bonne Maman means ‘Grandmother’ or ‘Granny’ in honour of Gervoson’s grandmother. The branding hasn’t changed since it was launched, to symbolise the all-natural goodness, with the iconic and recognisable gingham-patterned lid and homemade style handwritten script label.
- 250 g plain flour
- 70 g caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 200 g butter, very cold
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 1 orange, zested
- 1/2 jar Bonne Maman® Strawberry Preserve
- Icing sugar, to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to 170 ºC.
2. Sieve the flour, sugar and salt into a large bowl. Cut the butter into small pieces, add to the bowl and use your fingers to combine the fine crumbs.
3. Add the egg, vanilla essence and the orange zest and knead the dough until it is smooth, being careful not to overwork it.
4. Lightly dust a work surface with flour and use a rolling pin to roll the pastry out to a thickness of about 5 mm. Cut out 40 discs or rectangles as desired. On half of the batch cut decorative shapes out of the centre. Arrange on a lightly greased baking tray. Put in the fridge for about an hour.
5. Bake for about 12 minutes or until just starting to brown. Take out of the oven and leave to cool completely.
6. Spread half of the shortbreads with Strawberry Preserve and use the other halves to top each biscuit off. Sprinkle with icing sugar before serving.