- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup organic chicken stock
- 2 - 3 spring onions, shredded
- A few celery leaves
- 1 fresh chilli
- For the Asian dressing, mix together:
- 3 T fish sauce
- 3 T fresh lime or lemon juice
- 1 T rice vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 fresh red chilli, chopped
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1 T palm or demerara sugar
- For the salad:
- 2 cups shredded firm pawpaw or mango
- 1 cup peeled and shredded celery sticks
- 3 - 4 spring onions, shredded
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup roughly chopped roast macadamia nuts
In a saucepan over a medium heat, bring the chicken breasts, stock, spring onion, celery leaves and chilli to a bubble, then turn off the heat, cover and leave until just cooked but still moist and cool enough to handle.
Shred the chicken and mix with the Asian dressing.
Turn onto a platter or into a bowl and pile on the salad ingredients.
Only toss at the table before serving to ensure the components retain their texture.
Cook’s note: Make the salad more substantial by adding noodles. Use ready-cooked Chinese noodles heated in the leftover chicken stock to inject more flavour. Do drain well though, so as not to dilute the dressing.
Per serving: 1017.7 kJ, 26.4 g protein, 9.2 g fat, 14.9 g carbs
This recipe does include more ingredients than the rest, but it's easy enough to make. The thin soupy dressing bathes the shreds of chicken, infusing flavour.