- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 chilli, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 500 g sugar beans, soaked and drained
- 4 cups water or veggie stock
- 1 x 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 3 T tomato paste
- 60 g brown sugar
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 T Woolworths Lazy Kettle liquid smoke
- maple syrup, to taste
Preheat the oven to 160°C.
Heat the olive oil in a large ovenproof pan. Fry the onions over a low heat until soft and golden.
Add the garlic, chilli and bay leaf and cook for 1 minute. Add the beans, stock, tomatoes, tomato paste and sugar.
Bring to the boil and season. Add the liquid smoke. Cover and bake for 2 hours.
Sweeten with maple syrup and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
Cook's note: Make a double batch of these moreish beans and freeze. Defrost, heat gently and serve with pork rashers, poached eggs, or on toast, or use them to bulk up soups and stews.