- 1 oxtail, about 1 – 1,5kg, thickly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 carrots, scraped and sliced
- 1 head garlic, sliced across
- 1 tin tomatoes in juice, crushed
- 1 tin butter beans, soaked overnight and drained
- A handful of thyme
- A handful of celery leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- About 3 cups chicken broth or beef stock
- 1 cup dry red wine
- Salt and milled black pepper
- Thyme for garnishing
- For serving:
- Crusty bread
Trim excess fat from meat.
Place all the ingredients in an oiled, heavy casserole, just large enough to accommodate nicely, and enough stock to cover.
Don't add salt yet, in case it toughens the beans. Cover with 2 sheets of oiled greaseproof paper and a tight-fitting lid.
Bake at 100°C for 8 - 10 hours or until meltingly tender.
Remove meat and keep warm. Skim off the fat and reduce the cooking liquids over a high heat to a suitable consistency.
Check seasoning and garnish with thyme.
Cook's note: For extra guests, simply double the ingredients and use a larger casserole. Cooking time stays the same.