- 4 T olive oil
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 3 leeks, washed and roughly chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt, to taste
- 1 x 400 g chopped tomatoes can
- 2 T tomato paste
- 2 cups water or good-quality beef stock
- 1.5 kg beef shortrib
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Heat the oil over a medium heat in a large ovenproof casserole dish with a tight-fitting lid.
Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes, then add the leeks, garlic, carrots, celery and bay leaves. Season and cook for 5–7 minutes, or until the vegetables are slightly coloured.
Add the tomatoes, tomato paste and water or stock. Add the shortrib, ensuring it is completely submerged in the liquid, then cover with the lid. Cook in
the oven for 2 ½–3 hours, or until the meat is falling off the bone.
Check regularly to make sure it doesn’t cook dry – add water if necessary.
Serve with pasta, mashed potato or creamed polenta.
Cook's note: To cook this in the pressure cooker, cook it for 30 minutes over a medium heat so a steady stream of steam escapes. Reduce the cooking liquid over a medium heat.