- 400 g baby carrots
- 300 g baby leeks, sliced lengthways
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 200 g pitted Kalamata olives
- 40 g Woolworths dried exotic mushrooms
- 500 g pickling onions, peeled
- 4 sprigs sage
- 4 sprigs rosemary
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 x 400 g Italian chopped tomatoes can
- 2 T tomato paste
- 4 cups good-quality beef stock
- 2 cups water
- ± 3.5 kg beef brisket
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 250 g barley
1 Preheat the oven to 180°C. Place the carrots, leeks, garlic, olives, dried mushrooms, onions, sage, rosemary and bay leaves in a large roasting dish and cover with a lid.
2 In a separate bowl, mix the canned tomatoes, tomato paste, stock and water, then pour into the roasting dish.
3 Add the brisket and season to taste. Cover and roast for 3 hours.
4 Check the brisket every 45 minutes to ensure the dish isn’t dry; top up with water if necessary.
5 Add the barley after 2 hours’ cooking time and cook until the meat is pull- apart tender and the barley is tender.