- 100 g bulgur or cracked wheat
- 250 g smoked snoek, flaked
- 3 tomatoes, medium, peeled and chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled and chopped
- 250 g baby cucumber, chopped
- 1 bunch spring onion, chopped
- 250 ml mixed herbs (parsley, mint, coriander and dill)
- 75-90 ml olive oil
- 60 ml lemon juice
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- butter lettuce leaves, for serving
Pour boiling water over the bulgur or cracked wheat and leave to stand for 30 minutes. Drain well.
Mix the wheat with the flaked snoek, tomatoes, avocado, cucumbers, spring onions, herbs, oil and lemon juice. Season to taste.
Spoon into the lettuce leaves to serve.
TASTE’s consultant food editor, Phillippa Cheifitz, spends weekdays in Cape Town and weekends in Paternoster on the West Coast, where top-quality ingredients offer her inspiration for laidback lunches, braais, picnics and dinners, featured in Lazy Days – Easy Summer Cooking.
Featuring favourite dishes from the original award-winning Lazy Days, with previously unpublished recipes, it’s essential to your collection. This recipe for mushroom crostini is from Phillippa's book, exclusively available to our website users.