- Oil, for frying
- 400 g pork rashers, sliced into thirds
- 4 leeks, washed and roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 1 t smoked paprika
- 1 t chilli flakes
- 1 T Woolworths Lazy Kettle hickory liquid smoke
- 2 shots espresso
- 1 T maple syrup
- 2 T tomato paste
- 1 x 400 g can Italian whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 x 400 g cans butter beans, drained
- Salt, to taste
- Ciabatta, sliced and toasted, for serving
Heat a little oil in a saucepan over a medium to high heat. Fry the pork rashers until golden and the fat has rendered. Remove from the pan.
Add the leeks to the same pan and fry until golden. Add the garlic, paprika and chilli flakes and cook for a few seconds. Add the remaining ingredients, along with the pork rashers, and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes.
Season with salt and serve with slices of toasted ciabatta.
Cook's note: All winter's comforting flavours - smoky, spicy and rich espresso - in the simplest and most filling of dishes.