- 16 large tomatoes
- 350 g mini Rosa or Bella tomatoes
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 onions, quartered
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 x 400 g can tomatoes
- 1 t smoked Spanish paprika
- 1 T balsamic reduction
- 70 g tomato paste
- 1 t thyme
- 2 t parsley
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 1 t coriander seeds, crushed and toasted
- 300 g uncooked pearl barley
- 165 g uncooked black-eyed beans
- 2–3 cups vegetable stock or water
- 100 g kale
- 1⁄3 cup olive or vegetable oil
- 1 x 200 g tub Woolworths Ayrshire ricotta
Preheat the grill to high. Quarter 8 large tomatoes. Toss them in the olive oil with the Rosa or Bella tomatoes, onions and garlic in a deep baking tray. Season to taste.
Place under the grill for 15 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally, then remove from the oven. Deglaze the pan with the red wine, then add the canned tomatoes, paprika, balsamic reduction, tomato paste and herbs.Season and add the coriander seeds.
Reduce the oven’s temperature to 160°C. Add the barley and black-eyed beans to the pan with 2 cups water or stock.
Bake for 1 hour, then stir. Nestle the remaining whole, large tomatoes in the mixture. Add another cup of water or stock if the mixture is too dry.
Roast for a further 2 hours, or until the grains are tender and the tomatoes soft. Remove from the oven and cool slightly.
Fry the kale in the oil for 1–2 minutes, or until crispy and brilliant dark green. Season and serve with a dollop of ricotta.