Shake up your braaied snoek routine with these clever snoek tacos, complete with the classic combination of cream cheese and sweet chilli sauce.
- 1 x 800 g Woolworths lightly smoked whole snoek
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 x 200 ml bottle Woolworths Flying Goose sweet chilli sauce
- 100 g butter, melted
- 8 Woolworths white flour wraps
- 250 g full-cream cream cheese
- 10 g coriander, chopped
1. Prepare a braai and wait until the coals are gentle enough to cook over. Pat dry the snoek using kitchen paper, then place skin-side down on a piece of tin foil. Season with salt and pepper. Place the snoek (still on the foil) on the braai and, using a basting brush, generously baste the fish with half the sweet chilli sauce and the butter. Cook for 8–10 minutes.
2. When the fish turns white, turn and baste it again, then cook for 3–5 minutes on the other side. For a smoky flavour, you could braai the other side without the foil, making sure the grid is well oiled to prevent the fish from sticking to it. If you do this, reduce the cooking time to 2–3 minutes and watch the fish closely.
3. Char the wraps over the braai or over the flames of a gas stove until charred in some spots. Fold in half and place over the racks of your oven hanging down to create a taco shape and to crisp up slightly. Serve with the cream cheese, more sweet chilli sauce and the coriander.
Photography: Sadiqah Assur-Ismail.