- 1 mielie
- 1 T butter
- 1 cup vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 tortillas, cut into strips
- 4 free-range chicken thighs
- 2 t Woolworths fajita spice mix
- 1 T olive oil
- 4 cups Woolworths organic chicken stock
- 1 T dried oregano
- 1 x 400 g can Woolworths black beans in brine, rinsed and drained
- 3 limes
- 30 g coriander
- Crème fraîche, for serving
- Tabasco sauce, for serving
Rub the mielie with butter and grill until cooked through and charred. Allow to cool, slice off the kernels and set aside.
Heat the oil in a pan and fry the tortilla strips in batches until crispy. Drain on kitchen paper.
Rub the chicken thighs with the spice mix. Heat the olive oil in a large heavy-based saucepan and brown the chicken all over. Add the chicken stock and oregano and bring to the boil. 4 Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 25–30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken and shred, discarding the skin and bones.
Return the chicken to the saucepan with the black beans and corn kernels and simmer over a low heat for 5 minutes. Season to taste with the juice of 1 or 2 limes.
Ladle the soup into bowls and serve topped with the tortilla strips, coriander, large dollops of crème fraîche, Tabasco and lime wedges on the side.
Cook's note: Mexican tortilla soup, or sopa azteca, is a spicy combo of chicken, black beans, crème fraîche and crunchy tortilla strips.
Browse more budget bean recipes here.