- 800 g Swiss chard
- 7 T olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 bunch (100 g) spring onions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 ripe red tomato
- 100 g long-grain white rice
- 1 cup hot water or vegetable stock
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 T fresh dill, chopped
- 100–200 g feta
- lemon wedges, for serving
1. Steam the Swiss chard until barely wilted, then chop roughly. Gently heat 3 T olive oil in a large saucepan. Stir in the onions and cook gently until softened. Stir in the garlic, then add the spinach.
2. Halve the tomato and grate, discarding the skin. Stir in the grated tomato, then the rice. Pour in the hot water or stock and season. Half cover with the lid and simmer gently for 20 minutes, or until the rice is tender. Stir occasionally, checking to see if it needs a little more hot water.
3. Stir in the dill and remaining olive oil. Check the seasoning. Either crumble the feta and sprinkle over, or serve a chunk on the side with the lemon wedges.
Cook's note: This Greek spinach-and-rice dish with lemon and dill is delicious served hot, cold or at room temperature in the Mediterranean way.
Photographs: Toby Murphy
Production: Brita Du Plessis
Food assistant: Nicola Naude