- 1 free-range rotisserie chicken
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 sweet red pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 T olive oil
- 1 - 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 230 g risotto rice
- 1 x 400 g can tomatoes, crushed
- 1 t Spanish smoked paprika
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Parsley, chopped, to garnish
- Chorizo, a few slices
Remove the backbone and wing tips of the chicken to use for broth. Divide the chicken into 5–6 portions. Gently soften the onion and pepper in the olive oil in a medium saucepan until wilted but still pale.
Stir in the garlic and rice until coated in oil. Add the tomatoes and paprika and simmer for a few minutes.
Pour in the broth and bring to a simmer. Add the chicken portions and season.
Cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes, or until the rice is tender, but still moist. Check the seasoning. Sprinkle with parsley and moisten with a drizzle of olive oil. If you like, add a few slices of torn chorizo.
Cook's note: A few store-cupboard stand-bys are all you need to whip up this hearty supper.