- 1 kg Woolworths Free Range Lamb
- 2 Tablespoons Woolworths Fresh Tomatoe Puree
- 2 Large Woolworths Fresh Ripe Tomatoes
- 1 Large Woolworths Brown Onion (Large)
- 2 teaspoons Fresh Ginger (chopped)
- 3-4 Fresh Green Chillies (slivered)
- 1-2 sprigs Fresh Green Curry Leaves
- 3-4 tablespoons Woolworths Mediterranean Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Curry Powder/Masala
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin (Jeera) Powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander (Dhunia) Powder
- 1/2 a teaspoon Cumin (Jeera) Seeds
- 2-3 Cinnamon Sticks
- 2-3 Green Elachie Pods
- 2 Fresh Bay leaves
- 1 Star Anise/Aniseed
- 4-5 Fresh Cloves
- (according to taste) Woolworths Sea Salt
- ( to garnish) Fresh Coriander ( Dhunia)
- 4-5 Cloves Fresh Garlic (chopped)
Prepare the lamb by trimming any excess fat and cutting into pieces. Rinse the meat thoroughly.
Marinate with ginger, garlic, a pinch of turmeric powder and salt. Allow the marinated meat to rest for about half an hour before cooking.
In a large pot heat the olive oil on medium to high heat.
Add the chopped onions, curry leaves, cinnamon sticks, cumin (jeera) seeds, cloves, elachie pods(slivered), bay leaves, star anise, and cook for approximately 8-10 minutes with the lid tightly placed on.
Once the onions are translucent, add the marinated lamb pieces, stir and cook for a further 20 minutes.
Then add the curry/masala powder, turmeric , cumin and coriander powders, sea salt and stir well.
Cook the spices for another 5 minutes before adding the fresh grated tomatoes and puree. Put the lid on tightly and cook for a further 20 minutes until the lamb is fully cooked through.
(Cook's note: Lamb should still be very tender when fully cooked through.)
(Cook's note: Seeing the oil/ghee at the top of the curry is usually an indication that the curry is cooked and at a desired gravy-like "curry" consistency.)
Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves.
Serve the Lamb Curry hot with freshly cooked steaming basmati rice, roti, or dosas.
Lamb Curry is exceptionally palate-pleasing when complimented with freshly made traditional carrot & onion salad, or tomato and green chillie sambles, and Indian pickles. Usually served as a lunch or dinner family-sharing dish.