- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 5 T olive oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 large red or yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 medium brinjal, chopped
- 1 x 400 g Italian chopped tomatoes
- 1 t fresh chilli, crushed
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 free-range eggs
- 2 T Italian parsley, chopped
- Wholewheat couscous, cooked according to package instructions for serving
- Chilli sauce for serving
Soften the onion in 3 T olive oil in a large pan. Stir in the garlic, pepper and brinjal, plus the remaining olive oil.
Cover and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring once or twice, until the vegetables start to soften. Add the tomatoes, chilli and a little seasoning. Simmer for 10 minutes, uncovered, until the vegetables are cooked and the sauce is a good consistency.
Season to taste. Add the eggs, cover and poach gently for 5 minutes or until the whites are set and the yolks slightly runny. Sprinkle with parsley and spoon over the hot couscous. Pass around the chilli sauce at the table.
Cook’s note: Add chunks of spicy smoked sausage or torn thinly sliced salami.