- 2 T olive oil
- 100 g Woolworths sliced smoked Italian pancetta
- 12 Woolworths frozen ready-to-cook easy peel pink prawns
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 t Woolworths Calabrese peperoncino hot pepper sauce
- 2 T tomato paste
- 6 ripe Roma tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 6 T white wine
- 400–500 g squid-ink pasta, cooked al dente
- 2 t Italian parsley finely chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Heat 1 T olive oil in a pan over a medium to high heat. Fry the pancetta until crisp, then remove from the pan. Gently fry the prawns in the same pan over a high heat until coloured, then remove from the pan.
Add the remaining olive oil to the pan and fry the onion and garlic until soft. Add the hot pepper sauce, tomato paste and Roma tomatoes and cook for 15 minutes. Add the white wine, pancetta and prawns and cook for 5 minutes.
Toss the pasta and parsley through the sauce and season to taste.
Cook's note: A true amatriciana calls for chilli, pecorino and guanciale (cured pig’s cheek), but if you’re fresh out of pigs’ cheeks, pancetta works as well. We threw in fresh prawns and used squid-ink pasta for kicks.